Thursday, September 10, 2015

Diversion = $2. Hand Carved Wooden Artistic Find !

It was a rainy dreary Saturday in August.
I was on my way to the grocery ...and there it was... a sign. 
"Garage Sale Today " - with an arrow pointing down the street. 
I couldn't pass it up. I had to stop. 

I walked up to the sale - where my eyes became fixed on a piece of wood.
As I got closer, I realized it was a thick branch.  
I loved it. 
I had to know more. 
I asked the lady about it. She told me she had purchased it from a local farmer who apparently chisels wood during his down time. 

She used it on her farm table in a previous home. She has since moved and changed her decor to reflect a different look. 
She no longer had a home for it. 
Just so happens, I do!



It's so artistic! Oh my gosh!!! I could see it sitting on the long table in front of the window.
She had a $2. price tag on the piece. Oh yes she did! 

I'd like to say I swooped it up, but it has some weight to it! It's about 36" long and 6" deep. It's got to be over 10 pounds. It's definitely a  focal point piece. I love that it is hand carved!



I purchased some stones to place in the trough. ( it holds 2 1/2 bags !! )






Added tea lights. 


It's sitting on that  long table in the living room - just like I envisioned!!!
Looks so handsome. 



I'm going to change out the paisley table runner with a burlap runner.

I love it. 
So glad I stopped to find such an amazing treasure!

Summer is coming to a close. I didn't see much of it this year. It's been a challenging summer. Lots of "not fun-life stuff" to deal with. 
That's why junking is so much fun! It gives me a break from all the "not fun-life stuff" and allows me have a short vacation in the midst of it all. Being creative is another outlet for me when life gets too serious. It's nice to have a diversion. 

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I always - always appreciate your comments and the time you take to read the latest. Means so much!

Hope your last days of summer are filled with some fun diversions!

Hugs and Happy Treasure Hunting!
Julie xo

4 comments:

P.j. said...

Love what you did with the hollowed-out branch! Hope you have a chance to enjoy Fall! (hugs)

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

This is so cool! It reminds me of an old dough bowl but it's a much neater shape! Looks great with the rocks and candles in it! How clever of you! Sorry summer has been not so fun for you. I know what you mean. I haven't even gone to hardly any yard sales! Still adjusting to life without Dad so could use a diversion. There's an estate auction nearby this weekend so I may check it out. That would be fun unless the prices go too high. I did do a little curb shopping the other night and found two nice columns about 2 feet tall to put plants or whatever on, that my neighbor threw away. They need painting as they are an ugly green shade but will look nice in white and out in my back garden where he can't see them LOL! Bad enough he was sitting on his front stoop and I had to drive around the neighborhood for a while until he went in! Anyway, let's hope that fall brings fun and joy and laughter and all that good stuff! Hugs, Leena

Janet Alden said...

So very cool! I love that you see the beauty in everything and bring it to us to enjoy too.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a great eye you have to see how the carved wood could be used, i would have never thought of the genius idea of rocks and tea lights!

Carol