Monday, July 21, 2014

Dusting Off the Paint Brushes

Once upon a time, in a far off land .... I had a hand painted glassware business.
It was a business that started out as something that filled my need for creativity and slowly grew into something full time.

It was a lot of fun, and I was very grateful for the opportunity. 
I worked hard at building the business. I learned a lot. 
Wouldn't have made it without the help from Mom and  Jody. ( Who is Jody? Read about her HERE )

As time went on....I started to hit the burn out phase. 
That's when I changed direction and headed back into the world of buying and selling vintage finds. (Entirely Apropos)


We were recently invited to a couples wedding shower.
Mike and I like to give gifts that are on the personalized side...or at least maybe something that is unique. 

After pondering some ideas, I thought maybe this would be a good time for me to dust off the paint brushes and see if I still had "it". It's been at least 4 1/2 years since I painted.

I made a trip to the craft store, purchased the glass paint. ( Folk Art Enamel )
Then, headed to Dollar Tree Store to purchase wine glasses.

After digging out my painting tools that have been packed up, and discovering my painting apron ( yay me! ) . I was set.

It took a couple of tries before I started feeling a bit more confident. But . I did it!






I borrowed the frame from The Graphics Fairy ( Click HERE to see the frame and visit The Graphics Fairy -  AWESOME site!  )

I used my design titled " Filigree" for the base. It's a free flowing design. 


I use a bottle and tip to create the design.
Purchased at Hobby Lobby.



I painted six glasses.
Two of them are personalized for the bride and groom. The other four are for their guests. 


The party was this past Saturday night. 
It was an  amazing event! 
The host and hostess went all out. 
"Classy" is the word I would use to describe the party.
I had a wonderful time. 



It was fun to paint again.

I picked up some old barn wood at a tag sale recently. 
I am hoping to do something creative with them before the snow flies. ( Ick. Did I just mention that four  letter word? LOL )

As always, thanks for stopping by!
I appreciate! xoxo

Happy Treasure Hunting!
Hugs, Julie 






















7 comments:

P.j. said...

Those are nothing short of awesome, but I would expect no less. Have you considered offering custom glassware in your Etsy shop? I think your Momma would be so pleased that you picked up the brushes again! ~~ xoxoxo

curdsNway said...

Great Job. I'm so happy you finally picked up your brushes again! Maybe now you will be able to paint just for the joy of it.

Julie Shelander said...

Thanks, P.j! I think she would be pleased that I picked up the brushes again. I might consider creating some glassware to sell. It's tempting. Thanks for the encouragement! xo

Julie Shelander said...

Thanks, Peg. It was fun to paint again. I miss it. I miss being creative. :)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Julie, I think you should leave that paint brush dusted off the glasses are gorgeous!!! Snow...Yikkes, I would love to have you come to Orlando for the Polka Dot Flea!

Carol

Julie Shelander said...

Awe. Thanks, Carol! xoxo

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

What a great idea! I would have never thought to make extra glasses for guests! Your painting talent has not left you! These are so sweet and that filigree design on all the stems and bases must have taken forever! How pretty! I love personal gifts like that that show you've given some thought to them. Very nice! I'm sure Andy and Anne loved them! Hugs, Leena