Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Handmade Sled. Handmade Santa's.Handmade Snowmen and Snowladies ... and an Ice Storm!

Greetings from the frozen tundra!
Well, up until Friday.... it was pretty much frozen.


Mike and I were dealing with a ice storm - power outage , hence my delay in posting about the remaining Christmas displays I wanted to show you.






The ice storm started  last Saturday , early evening. 

Mike and I were in the kitchen working 
on goody bags for gifts. 
We could see and hear that the 
storm was rearing its ugly head. 

We prepared for it the best we could, not knowing that we would be without electricity or water for a few days.





Grateful for a generator. 
We were able to keep warm with a heater. 
Water was at a minimal. But we made it through just fine.





The best Christmas gift? Electricity! 
It came back on Christmas eve day. Yay!





There are many in our area that still do not have electricity. My heart goes out to them. 



Very grateful for all the men and women that have been  working to restore the lines - all week long.  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!


A few days ago,  the sun came out..... it made the ice look like diamonds. Everything was sparkly.







Yesterday the temp was in the low 40's. Felt like a heatwave!
All of the ice has melted. 
There was a lot of crash boom bang going on while it was falling off of the trees, lines and roofs.
Anyway, glad it's all over. 

Now...on to the post that I had intended to share a week ago. 
I was in process of showing you a very special sleigh,  that a very special "elf" made for me back in the early 90's.

"Elf Mike" made this sled for me for a Christmas gift in 1992. 

I was living in Colorado at the time. 
I remember receiving this HUGE box in the mail. I couldn't imagine what it was.....when I opened it, I was absolutely blown away. I was stunned. I was overwhelmed with the sense of how much time this must have taken him 
and how beautiful it is. 






It is a piece that I have cherished and  means the world to me. Always will. 

This sled is made of oak and walnut wood. It's about 36" long. I believe this is the first time (and the last time) Mike created something that the wood had to be "bent". I don't know anything about bending wood, but it sounds like it is quite the process. Tedious. Takes a lot of patience. 
The handle is made of rope. 

There is a lot of care and love that went into this sled. I wish I could capture it's beauty in a photo. But you'll have to take my word for it. It is stunning. 

Ironically my friend, Holly, 
was creating these amazing dolls that year. 
They were practically child size. 
In fact, she used children's clothing to dress the dolls.  

Holly surprised me with a Santa doll that Christmas ! She had no idea that Mike was making me the sled, and he had no idea she was making the full size Santa! 
I had no idea about either. (hahahaaa!)
The Santa doll fits in the sleigh, perfectly!
They have never parted since. 
They are a team....they go together.  
Like they were meant to be! 




I'm not sure you can tell, but the Santa doll is wearing children's boots, along with red OshKosh bibs!
 The shirt is also child size. 
Holly purchased all of the clothes at thrift stores. 
I love the rabbit fur hat. 
His nose is made of a red button. His eyes, black buttons. 
His body made out of muslin, tea stained. 
His beard, cotton stuffing. 
He is one of a kind.
I'm sorry to say that I've lost touch with Holly. I hope someday we will either find each other on facebook or we will hook up somewhere along the internet road. I would LOVE for her to know that her Santa continues to be adored and loved. 

I think of Holly every Christmas as I set out her adorable Santa on this handsome sleigh. 


Above is Mom's other wreath she created.  
I set it with the sleigh display, in a basket. 
(If you would like to see her other wreath, 
I've posted about it here : Mom's Vintage Wreath )


I added this skinny small tree in the background. It's filled with Shiny Brite ornaments that I purchased at a tag sale this summer. The tree was also purchased at a tag sale. The tree was $2., the ornaments - $1.


Above is a Santa that our dear friend, Peggy, created. 
Peggy is one of those people that oozes "creativity". Everything she creates is amazing and inspiring. I love this Santa. It has been a part of our Christmas display since we received it. How long ago was that? I can't remember. It's been several years. I don't remember NOT having the Santa in our displays. I adore him!


As I was digging through boxes.... I came across the Snowmen. I was hoping I could find them this year... and I did! 
These were made by our friend, Sha. 



Mom and I met Sha shortly after moving to Tennessee. 
We met at a craft show. 
Sha ( short for Sharon - pronounced  "Shaw")  created the most amazing Santa's , Snowmen and Snowladies.


 Years ago, she created Santa's that were made out of old quilts and recycled vintage fur. Sha created each Santa with a one of a kind face, which was hand carved. 
Each Santa was numbered. 
People stood in line to buy Sha's Santa's. And with good reason. They were amazing!
Later, Sha began creating these Snowmen and Snowladies. 



They are very detailed....right down to the snowmen cut out of paper.


One year, Sha made a Snowman for Mom.
She  personalized the sleds with my name and my brother's name. 

The next year, I received the Snowlady. 

Mom displayed them in a prominent place in the living room. 
She loved to show them off to all who entered.
I did the same. I have them near the dining room table. 
For all to see. 

I treasure them! They meant so much to us, and they continue to mean so much to me.

After I had this display up, we received a gift in the mail from Mike's brother. He sent us this bucket of snowballs! Isn't that a hoot?!!! Too funny!
He had no idea that I had a snow display..... it fit in perfect!


The other gift that we received was from our dear friends, Leona and Dan. 
They gave us our first personalized ornament! 
Love Love Love !
They also didn't know about the Snowmen display. 


Here is the kicker..... Leona ordered the ornament from the SAME company that the bucket of snowballs was from! 
She ALMOST ordered the snowballs, 
but decided on the ornament !! 
Isn't that apropos?

Thank you Dave, Leona and Dan. 
You made our Christmas so special!

I hope you are all staying warm. 
Hope you enjoyed your Christmas. 

Thanks so much for stopping by....
I always always always appreciate you hanging out with me!

Blessings to you in the New Year!

Happy Treasure Hunting!
Love and Hugs, 
Julie

NOTE : I've had some of you ask how to leave a comment if you don't have a Google account. 
At the bottom of the post where it reads "Comment As", there is an arrow on the right side of the box. Click the arrow for the drop down menu.
If you don't use any of the accounts ... you can leave a comment using "Anonymous". 
When using "Anonymous" ,  please leave your first name so I know who you are... I don't want to miss out on acknowledging you when you stop by ! 

Thanks in advance for your comments.....appreciated!
















4 comments:

P.j. said...

Further proof that nothing happens 'just by chance'! XOXOX <3

Julie Shelander said...

Boy, ain't that the truth P.j! Happy New Year to you and your family! xoxo

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

Julie, I love all of your decorations! They're so vintage and charming and filled with such emotions and wonderful memories! That sled Mike made is outstanding! What talent he has! Great the way that cutie Santa fits right in! Sorry you had such trouble with that nasty ice storm! Glad it cleared out by Christmas!

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

Well I accidently hit enter before I was done LOL Happy New Year and great big Hugs, Leena