Monday, December 2, 2013

Mom's Vintage Wreath

Yesterday I started decorating for Christmas.

My Christmas decor is very eclectic. 
Mostly vintage and hand made.

I sold a majority of it before moving, keeping the pieces that were sentimental.

Mom's favorite holiday was Christmas. 
She always always always made it so special. 
Up until the last year she celebrated Christmas here on earth, she was decorating and creating an atmosphere that brought much joy to all that entered our home. 

About 3 years ago, Mom was inspired to create a wreath out of vintage ornaments.
She was inspired by our friend, Jody , from Scraptherapy


Jody had been creating a wreath out of vintage ornaments . 
She found some really cute vintage style tinsel wreaths at Target to use. 

Mom  just "happened"  to have several boxes of vintage ornaments that she had picked up at tag sales that summer. 
She couldn't resist. She wanted to create one for her Christmas display, too. 

Mom made a trip to Target and came home with 2 wreaths.....and let me say, she was on it!!

Before I knew it, she had them packed full of nostalgic vintage love! They turned out adorable. 
She hung them on her laundry room and bathroom doors, which were side by side. 

The summer that Mom passed, I was digging through the Christmas decor... deciding what to keep and what to get rid of....I came across the wreaths.

It immediately brought back the memory of how excited she was about these wreaths, but at the same time .... it made me sad. She had only enjoyed them for one Christmas season. 

I brought them with me to Michigan. I will be enjoying them for years to come. 

This is one of the wreaths ...... I hung it on the front door.



Mom purchased the "Merry Christmas" glitter cut-out at the local True Value, in Franklin Tn. 
She was so excited to use them ....she thought it looked adorable with the vintage pieces. 
I agreed. 

Plus, the bonus .... they are glittery. Mom loved glitter and sparkle. 

Here are some close up photos of the ornaments she used ... 


  







She did a fabulous job. 

This is the first year that I'm decorating without her. 
I miss her so very much.
I have a special elf that has stepped in to help me where Mom left off... 
.... thank you, "Elf Mike"! ( LOL )

I added a couple more things to the front porch.
I'll share that next.

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate!
Hugs and Happy Treasure Hunting!
Julie

PS. I've had some people ask how to leave a comment if they don't have a Google account. 
At the bottom of the post where it reads "Comment As", there is an arrow on the right side of the box. Click the arrow for the drop down menu.
If you don't use any of the accounts ... you can leave a comment using "Anonymous".
Thanks thanks!!!
xo








7 comments:

Angie said...

I remember seeing these wreaths in previous pics Julie .. love them!! A Merry Christmas to you and elf Mike. Hugs!

lag said...

That is a lovely story ---- and such a wonderful memory for you.

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

Hi Julie! What a cute wreath and a sweet story to go with it! I love those vintage ornaments. They remind me of some my parents had when I was a kid. Your mom had such a zest for life, jumping whole-heartedly into a project the minute she thought of it. I think that's fantastic! I agree - the glittered cut-out Merry Christmas in the middle really adds to the vintage look! I have several of those cut-outs in silver that say Peace, Merry Christmas, Joy and I like to incorporate them in with my decorating. Have a wonderful time with Elf Mike decorating! Maybe he needs one of those long stocking caps with the built in ears LOL! Love ya sweetie! Leena

Julie Shelander said...

Thanks, Angie! A Merry Christmas to you and your family , too! xoxo

Julie Shelander said...

Thank you! xo

Julie Shelander said...

Thanks, Leena! GREAT idea regarding the long stocking caps with the built in ears! hahahaaa! Love you, too! Merry Christmas Season to you and your lovely family. xo

Clotee said...

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!
Bring you Good wishes of happiness.

Sorry for greeting you earlier,, just don't want miss saying this.
By the way, I'm clotee. It's my first time visiting your blog. I am blogger too, and now try my best luck to open an e-store. Nice to know you.

Regards,
Clotee