Wednesday, October 9, 2013

During one of the most difficult times of my life....something wonderful happened.

After  Mom unexpectedly passed away in June of 2012, I was lost.
We did EVERYTHING together. I felt like my right arm and leg had been cut off. Just to get into the car and drive somewhere by myself was so awkward and painful. It was a HUGE void for me.

It took awhile, and a lot of prayer ..... and  I started to heal. I can now get into the car without looking at the other seat and feeling awkward. It took awhile and it hurt for quite some time, but it's getting better.

In the past year, I've had to encourage myself, daily, that I have to keep moving forward. Don't stop. Don't get caught up in depression. There is a time to mourn, of coarse. But not allow depression to overtake me.

I had to keep telling myself that Mom wouldn't want me to stop living. She would want me to move forward. It's hard sometimes to find the balance in grieving and moving on.

Then .....during one of the most difficult times of my life....something wonderful happened.
I am now in a relationship with someone that has always been special to me and my Mom.
We've known each other and kept in touch for over 28 years.

After Mom passed, Mike came to Tennessee to visit me.
We had a great time together. We laughed and laughed, talked and talked. It was one of the best weeks I've had in years.
As time moved forward, we decided to take our relationship to a new level.
Hence my move to Michigan.


Mike and I on a day trip to Chattanooga Tennessee -2012


It's been so awesome to have something over the top happen in the midst of something that was so devastating. I'm reminded of the scripture that talks about beauty for ashes. That's how I feel. I felt like my life was over when Mom passed. How could I move forward without her? I'll admit. I've had some guilt about feeling happy in the midst of  the huge loss.
My Mom would be so happy for us and I know somehow she knows that we are together.

Mom will always be a void in my life. She is missed everyday. But I know that she would want me to move forward and see how my story turns out.

It is hard to go junking without her....she always told me that would be her legacy. I know her legacy is so much more than passing down the art of junkin'....but I know she would be so happy that I have followed in her footsteps and that my desire is to continue on with Entirely Apropos.

Mike and I talk about her often, which is nice. I'm glad that Mike knew Mom and that they too had a special friendship. Makes it even sweeter.

My new beginning is just what the Dr. ordered. Even though I lived in this area 30 years ago, it's all new to me. Mike has taken me to some beautiful places that I don't remember visiting while growing up in the state of Michigan. It's been a wonderful summer. Of coarse with any move, there are adjustments, but so worth it.

I know I mentioned in the last post that I was going to talk about some down time I was able to embrace last month.... I'll share that next time.

Until then,
Happy Treasure Hunting ..... and thanks for stopping by. Means so much. xoxo
Hugs!
Julie




12 comments:

P.j. said...

I'm so happy for you, Julie, & I know your Mom is too! :-)

Karen f. said...

So Happy for you.. just Never Know where you Will find Happiness. so Keep Looking forward...that is where Life is...Hugs...

Pam Klimper said...

So, so glad you are happy! Your dear Mother wouldn't have wanted it any other way. : ) ♥♥♥

Janet Alden said...

Sweetie this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us and for sharing your pain and joy.

Nyssa, Ink. said...

balling my eyes out... (lol)... you know, Julie, sometimes it's when we are at our most vulnerable, we think we are at our ugliest state, when in reality, we are at our most beautiful state. You have been open and vulnerable, not just with Mike, but with your virtual community and through that, great love has been found. I could not even be one ounce happier for you, I am bursting for you. And don't forget for a minute that angels guide those we need towards us and your mom's hand is on both of your shoulders right now. Thank you so much for sharing yourself Julie! You are a beaming light in the world.

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

I knew it! I knew it! I knew when you talked about your special friend Mike, that there was something extra special there! Your heart seemed brighter and now I know why! I'm so happy that the two of you have reconnected and found so much happiness! I know your mom is happy too! Looking forward to what else you'll be posting! Love ya! Leena

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Thanks P.j. I appreciate your sweet words. I am very grateful and appreciative for a new beginning with Mike. xo It's been wonderful.

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Thank you, Karen! It's true! You never know where and when happiness will present itself. So glad I have a new start. Makes life so much better!

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Thank you, Pam! I am very grateful for a new beginning. Makes life so much better! xo

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Thank you, Janet! Thank you for taking the time to read about it. Nice to have friends to share life with. xoxo

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Awwwwe, Nyssa. Thank you. Thank you for such beautiful words and your amazing encouragement. I appreciate you!
I'm very grateful to have a new beginning with Mike. I do believe the angels guide us and I do believe my Mom is so happy for us. Makes it very special. Thank you again, Nyssa! xoxo

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Awwwwwe ! Thank you Leena! I am very happy and grateful. Mike and I have such a good time together...makes life so much better and fulfilling. I feel like Mom knows and I know she is happy for us!! Thanks for your encouragement, my friend! xo