Friday, June 28, 2013

Baby Stepping It

As I mentioned in my post from yesterday ( click here  to read the post ) , I'm starting to move forward with my life and my business.

My new beginning is taking place just outside of Lansing, Michigan. (My home state)
I lived in Lansing for a couple of years, wayyyyy back in the early 80's. Long enough to make some fabulous friends and spend time with family

I've been slowly venturing out.
I managed to find  a few garage sales in the area, and have discovered a Goodwill store that I will be stopping at frequently!

This past weekend, I stopped in the local antique mall. To my delight, they had an immediate opening for a small booth.
I didn't want a large booth, as I'm not sure how I will do here. The prices are different and I'm not sure what kind of finds I will be able to acquire....so I'm baby-stepping it.

The booth is  4' x 8'.
3 walls.


As you can see, the booth needed some paint and something pretty on the floor.

My friend ,Mike, was with me that day.  He had some ideas, right out of the gate. So away we went to Menards. ( Menards is comparable toHome Depot  / Lowes ).
Before I knew it, we had come up with this:
Red walls, faux laminate wood floor. 

We brought home the flooring, a can of paint and paint brushes. 
Monday morning, I was on my way to start my new life. Paint brush in hand.

I'm sorry to say that my photo of the walls being painted didn't turn out, but you can get an idea of the transformation with these photos of the flooring being installed
...and I say "installed" , loosely! 
 I've never done this myself, ever. Mike assured me that I could do it. So I did. 
We will see if it all stays in place ! hahhahahaaa!


Mike laid out the flooring in the garage. We purchased a rug pad to hold the boards in place on the floor, so they don't slide around. We cut the pad  to the size of the 4x8 booth.



As you know, the color "red" requires several coats.
It took 3 coats , almost a gallon of paint. 


I have a thing with canopies and booths.
In our last 2 booths, we created canopies over the booths.
One was a tent that we placed inside the booth ( see post here ).
The other was a canopy over the booth ( see post here ).
I knew I wanted some sort of canopy over this booth as well. 

I happened to stop at  the Goodwill store on Monday, on my way home from painting the first coat.  
I ran across a set of 2 window treatments. 
They were vintage and they were a steal at $4. for the set. 
Why I didn't buy them that day, I don't know. 
Monday night I pondered the thought of using them for a canopy, and came up with a plan. I then prayed they would still be there on Tuesday. 
Thankfully, they were still there on Tuesday.

I picked up some fabric glue, and used some straight pins to keep them in place while they dried. 
It was painless task and took about 15 minutes to complete.


I took them in on Thursday, and hung them up across the booth. 
I think it adds  a nice touch to the booth.


( Photo above, just getting started )







Yep, there is a seam where both the pieces were glued. 
I don't think it will stand out as much once I get the booth filled. 

Oh by the way, here is a link to the Mega Mall... my new booth home. Please click here. 

I will be inventorying  my finds for the next few days, preparing to move in on Monday, July 1. 
Here's to hoping for the best. 

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and check in.
I appreciate . 
Happy Treasure Hunting!
Hugs, Julie

























12 comments:

Jodylynn said...

You can make anything out of nothing!!!! love it!!!

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Thanks Jode! I wish we were doing this together.
Together, we'd have the energy of one person! hahahaaa!
Love ya!

Judi said...

Of course the third times a charm! Love the floor and color choice! Nice friend you have in Mike!!!! Especially when he's full of ideas ~ Looking forward to your adventures Julie :) xxoo Judi

P.j. said...

Hope the new booth works out well for you! Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree, because you have a great start! (hugs)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love, love, your booth!! The canopy is perfect and the way the booth is laied out it will be perfect! So glad you are moving ahead!

Carol

pink*cherub*moon said...

Julie, darlin', I am so proud of you! I know how difficult things have been and that at times you probably just wanted to give up, but you didn't! You stood tall and followed your heart and here you are - ready to start a new journey in a new yet familiar place! I'm not sure that I could have accomplished as much in such a short time under the circumstances. The booth is looking great and I can't wait to see it all set up! Best of luck to you, dear friend! You're going to do great! Hugs, Leena

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Thanks Judi!
Mike is an awesome friend! I am so grateful to have him in my life.
Thanks for your encouragement, Judi....as always!
xoxoxo

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Awwwwww, thanks P.j. Always good to hear from you!!!
Hugs, J

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Awwww, thanks Carol!
So happy for you with your recent publication....I think there are more over the top surprises in your future....you are an inspiration!
Thanks for stopping by! xo
Julie

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

Awwww, thanks Leena!
If I hadn't had so much help in the past year, I wouldn't be here. I have had so many friends / family step up to help me ... I am so grateful.
Thank you for your encouragement, as always! You bring out the sunshine on a rainy day!
Love ya!

P.j. said...

Wish we had time to make a trip to MI to see Bart's cousin who lives near Lansing--because I could stop by your booth & maybe even get to meet you in person! <3

Julie Shelander - Entirely Apropos said...

I would LOVE that!!!!
I think some day, we will meet! :)